Flames erupt at Bed, Bath and Beyond

20140127_164217_resized

BATAVIA, N.Y. (WIVB) – A two-alarm fire broke out at the Bed, Bath & Beyond in Batavia on Monday.

Firefighters were called to the scene around 4:15 p.m. when flames started in the bedding area of the Veterans Memorial Drive store. The blaze proved difficult to fight because of heavy smoke and frozen hydrants.

Two employees were treated at the scene for smoke inhalation. The fire was brought under control after about an hour.

“The sprinkler system did activate and that’s what lead to a part of the extensive damage within the structure, but it definitely contained the fire in that area and that bedding area is a very heavy fire load and that sprinkler system definitely assisted us today,” said Batavia Fire Deputy Chief Dan Coffey. “The first couple of hydrants that we found within this parking lot were frozen.  So that caused us to go to plan B and we actually had to lay in from the road which is obviously significant amount more hose.”

There is no word on how much damage the flames caused or what sparked the fire. The store is expected to be closed for several days.

WIVB.com provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review. Note: Comments containing links are not allowed.

blog comments powered by Disqus