ELMA, N.Y. (WIVB)- A major structure fire closed a portion of a roadway in Elma Tuesday morning. Flames sparked at 7 a.m. on Rice Road, between Bowen and Shultz Roads. That stretch of the roadway was closed for more than two hours.
Flames erupted at a two-story building, that is a two-family home. More than an hour and a half after the blaze started, heavy smoke and flames were still billowing into the air from a second-floor apartment. Flames spread throughout the house and smoke was shooting out through the attic. Firefighters were fighting the flames defensively from a ladder above the flames.
Investigators believe hoarding may have been a factor in the fire that spread quickly.
News 4 learned one person who lived in the building is a firefighter, which may be the reason why no one was injured in the fire.