GOWANDA, N.Y. (WIVB) – Nine Gowanda Correctional Facility inmates are facing possible criminal prosecution after an alleged attack on a sergeant and two correctional officers at the prison.
Officials say an isolated verbal confrontation between a correctional officer and an inmate in the shower area escalated. Two officers called for backup, and officials say when a sergeant and third officer arrived on scene, they pulled the inmate off one officer who was unconscious on the ground and a second officer who was conscious but bleeding out of his ear.
Both injured officers were taken to Lakeshore Hospital, where they were treated and released. They are now at home recuperating. One officer suffered an ear laceration and bleeding from his ear canal. The other officer suffered a possible torn rotator cuff, several chipped teeth and a swollen eye. Both suffered concussions.
The sergeant and third officer who came to their rescue suffered minor bruising.
The inmate who was initially restrained has been identified as 26-year-old Darryl Anderson, who is currently serving a 12 year sentence out of Kings County for first degree manslaughter. The eight others allegedly involved in the attach were:
- Zachary Tower, 31, serving 10 year sentence for first degree attempted robbery
- Freddy Moore, 24, serving eight year sentence for first degree robbery
- William Dunn, 23, serving six year sentence for second degree burglary
- Brandon Corchado, 24, serving three year sentence for second degree criminal possession of a weapon
- Anthony Joseph, 35, serving five year sentence for third degree attempted criminal possession of a controlled substance and violating his parole
- Manual Rios, 34, serving nine year sentence for second degree conspiracy and third degree attempted criminal sale of a controlled substance
- Rajsheem Richardson, 26, serving five year sentence for two counts of third degree criminal possession of a controlled substance
- George Lennon, 35, serving six year sentence for third degree criminal possession of a controlled substance and violating his parole
All nine inmates believed to be involved were transferred to another correctional facility following the investigating.
The last time there was an assault at the medium security prison was November 2013.