2-alarm garage fire leaves $200,000 worth of damage

Michele McClintick anchored Weekend Wakeup and then headed down to Delaware Avenue.
Michele McClintick anchored Weekend Wakeup and then headed down to Delaware Avenue.

AMHERST, NY (WIVB) The Amherst Fire Inspector’s Office says careless use of combustible materials too close to a heat source is what caused a house fire in East Amherst.

Amherst Fire Control received a 911 phone call from a resident reporting a fire in her attached garage on Saturday evening.

Fire crews arrived on scene within five minutes and reported heavy fire conditions in the garage with extension into the house.

A second alarm was called shortly after arrival bringing additional apparatus and manpower to the scene.

Firefighters battled the blaze for over an hour before it was under control.

Total damages are estimated at $200,000.

WIVB.com provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review. Note: Comments containing links are not allowed.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s