Gertie’s in Clarence closed after early morning fire

CLARENCE, N.Y. (WIVB) – Valetine’s Day is one of the busiest nights of the year for restaurants, but a popular eatery in Clarence Center will be closed after an early morning fire on Friday.

The blaze started around 6:50 a.m. at Gertie’s on Goodrich Road. The upstairs tenant called 911 and three volunteer fire crews responded to the scene immediately. When they arrived, heavy smoke was pouring out of the first and second floor.

Clarence Center Fire Chief Steven Leising said, “We found fire to be in the boiler room and we extinguished the fire, which was in the wall chasing up the wall to the second floor.”

Investigators say the fire started in the vestibule area under the boiler room. Chief Leising says the damage is not extensive.

“It’s very minimal. We think it’s probably going to be around $20,000 to the building itself,” he said. “It was just walls that we had to tear a part to get into where the boiler system was and then floor joists and stuff that we had to get at that were charred and on fire.”

The blaze is not considered suspicious, however investigators are still trying to pinpoint what sparked it in the first place.

For now, the restaurant is closed. Workers say they believe it will re-open in about a week. For now, they’re just glad no one was hurt.

blog comments powered by Disqus