Erie Co. CPS gets better review from state agency

Erie County Executive Mark Polonvarz says he’s pleased with the recent report issued on Child Protective Services by the NYS Office of Children and Family Services.

The state agency that oversees CPS here in Erie County completed a review of closed child abuse and maltreatment reports this month.

MORE | Last November, OCFS issued a scathing report of CPS in Erie County, naming a number of inadequacies and deficiencies in the department

OCFS found that of the 275 records they reviewed, in all but one case, an appropriate home visit was made. And even in that case, there were diligent efforts to visit the home.

The agency also said in 98 percent of the cases, where there was an appropriate source to contact, the contact was made, and in 99 percent of the cases nearly all of the appropriate collateral contacts were made. In 85 percent of the cases, interviews were conducted face to face, and for the remaining 15 percent, diligent efforts had been made in around half of those cases.

Of the 275 cases reviewed, OCFS says 175 required services. And in 99 percent of those cases, services were offered by CPS. And in 100 percent of the cases, OCFS agreed with closing out the case.

Poloncarz said in a statement, “These findings are an affirmation of the many initiatives the Department of Social Services has implemented in CPS over the past year, and this report is a testament to the hard work and dedication of CPS workers.” provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review. Note: Comments containing links are not allowed.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s