LOCKPORT, N.Y. (WIVB) – A couple who lived in their mobile home for 37 years were devastated to learn Monday that it was a total loss.
The homeowner had been trying to thaw frozen pipes using a propane torch heater when the trailer caught fire and was destroyed. But firefighters were able to bring him some solace.
These photos from Stephen M Wallace show firefighters discovering a blackened metal box inside the rubble. Inside the box, they discovered the homeowners’ hidden nest egg, which family says came from a cancer benefit and is meant to be used for medical bills not covered by insurance:
They were able to return that money to the family, and though it cannot make up for losing their home, at least it will be there to help in their time of need.