Firefighters save homeowners’ nest egg

LOCKPORT, N.Y. (WIVB) – A couple who lived in their mobile home for 37 years were devastated to learn Monday that it was a total loss.

The homeowner had been trying to thaw frozen pipes using a propane torch heater when the trailer caught fire and was destroyed. But firefighters were able to bring him some solace.

RELATED | Learn more about the fire and see an exclusive photo gallery here

These photos from Stephen M Wallace show firefighters discovering a blackened metal box inside the rubble. Inside the box, they discovered the homeowners’ hidden nest egg, which family says came from a cancer benefit and is meant to be used for medical bills not covered by insurance:


They were able to return that money to the family, and though it cannot make up for losing their home, at least it will be there to help in their time of need. provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review. Note: Comments containing links are not allowed.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s