Man, dog found dead in burning Buffalo home

BUFFALO, N.Y. (WIVB) – Firefighters found one man and his dog dead inside a burning home Tuesday night on Sirret Street in South Buffalo.

Police officers called fire crews after they saw flames shortly before 10 p.m. coming from the one-and-a-half story home, which is on Sirret near Park and Abbott. Initial reports indicated the possibility of people trapped inside. Firefighters began a search of the home and found the victim, a man in his 40s or 50s, and his dog on the first floor.

Authorities believe the man lived alone in his home.

Jason Turner, who lived next door to the man for seven years, described his neighbor as a fun guy who was always willing to help anybody in need. The man’s dog, a German shepherd named Princess, was also loved in the neighborhood and often played with many of the children living there.

Turner says he didn’t even know there was a fire at the house until he saw first responders arriving.

Turner said, “I looked out my window and was wondering why there were all these cop cars and the next minute, the cops came and wanted us to get out the house and come down the street a little bit.”

Neighbors say both the man and his dog were neighborhood fixtures and they were shocked to learn what had happened.

Todd Kaminski said, “All the kids would come here my grand kids would come on the porch throw the ball out and the dog would bring it back, I think anyone who knew the dog, loved the dog.”

Officials have not yet identified a cause of the fire, which caused more than $100,000 in damage.

The man’s name has not been released.

blog comments powered by Disqus