EAST PEMBROKE, N.Y. (WIVB) - Firefighters in Genesee County had their hands full with an overnight, two-alarm barn fire Friday.
Crews from East Pembroke and several other companies had to deal with icy roads as they drove to Brown Road, where a chimney fire apparently spread to a wall of a barn.
The homeowner noticed the fire when he went outside after his power went out, according to Don Newton, Fire Chief, East Pembroke. The resident had spotted the chimney on fire then the part of the barn burning, and called for help, Newton added.
Firefighters also had to change the way they fought the fire because of a lack of water. “Trying to get water to the scene, and to the interior crew, we had to end up pulling the interior crew out due to lack of water,” Newton said.
Crews say they saved a large portion of the barn, its contents, and a 40-foot yacht in an adjacent building. They haven’t said what started the fire.