Crews respond to crash, smoke at Starpoint High School

PENDLETON, N.Y. (WIVB) – A chain of events caused a pretty unusual morning outside Starpoint High School. Friday morning’s emergency at the school district started out as one thing, and snowballed into another.

Around 6:50 a.m, two fire company’s were called to the school because a motor overheated. Fire crews used thermal imaging cameras to look for hotspots in the walls and roof. They soon determined that a motor above the teacher’s dining room had overheated. No students were in the building at the time.

Some students were driving to school at the time of the incident. One senior was stopped on Mapleton Road when another struck them from behind. But before that accident could be cleared, another one happened.

Nine students were involved in the accidents. One was taken to Children’s Hospital for precautionary measures. Starpoint’s superintendent says all of the students have non-life threatening injuries.

As for that overheated motor, it will be repaired this weekend. provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review. Note: Comments containing links are not allowed.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s