NIAGARA FALLS, N.Y. (WIVB) – Lead concerns at Hyde Park Elementary School began after a student tested positive for high levels of lead. The child previously had lead poisoning and is routinely monitored.
Niagara County Public Health Director Daniel Stapleton said, “Children are tested at 1-year old and 2-year old. This child was older than that and we made a visit to the child’s home to identify any hazards of lead and all those were eliminated so we then go to other areas where the child might be exposed.”
Tests at the school showed there was lead in the paint in several areas; it was highest in the window sills, door jams and radiators.
Stapleton said, “So for the past couple of weeks our nursing staff and our sanitarians have been at the school every day making sure that areas could be deemed lead free.”
As the school was cleaned, parents were urged to get their children tested.
Patricia Snyder found two of her grandchildren who attend Hyde Park had higher than normal levels of lead.
She explained, “They did a finger prick test and five micrograms or less is normal, theirs came back at 10.4.”
The Niagara County Health Department says most buildings built before 1978 have lead paint and there is no way to tell how the children got the lead in their system.
However, Snyder says she has no doubt.
She said, “It was the school my grandkids were tested when they were younger through WIC, no lead at all, the youngest one is 5 he was tested not too long ago through WIC there was no lead, now he’s in school and it’s 10.4?”
Information on lead poisoning from the Centers for Disease Control can be found here.