BYRON, N.Y. (WIVB) – It should be a normal commute Tuesday morning for driver in the Town of Byron. Things are all cleaned up.
Monday, a tanker carrying 500 gallons of anhydrous ammonia tipped over On Route 237. Crews had to evacuate about a dozen homes. But, there were no leaks reported.
First responders say being exposed to this gas can be deadly.
“It only take a couple of breaths to incapacitate you, it would actually suffocate you and that would be the end of it,” said Keith Hunt, Genesee County Emergency Services.
Hunt said, “Anhydrous ammonia is a pretty serious chemical so this was a level a hazmat situation where the hazmat responders, the people who actually were ready to go in, if something occurred, some kind of a leak or broken hose or something, they were in level A suits so they were fully protected.”
This type of ammonia is used as a fertilizer for crops. No one was hurt during the clean up.