Rescuers alert residents of apartment building fire

LOCKPORT, N.Y. (WIVB) – First responders alerted three people inside an apartment building of a fire overnight that left one occupant with minor burns and a firefighter with cuts to his hands.

Firefighters responded to 6557 Lincoln Place in the Town of Lockport around 1:40 a.m. Tuesday, on a call of heavy smoke coming from the building.

When responders searched the building, they found three occupants were still inside a third-floor apartment. Rescuers got them out of the smoke-filled building. The rest of the occupants were already out safely.

Police say the fire started inside an apartment because a person left heated vegetable oil on the stove and fell asleep. He woke up to find the fire, and when he tried to move the pan it splattered hot oil on him. The occupant suffered minor burns on his torso, arms and foot. He was taken to Erie County Medical Center for treatment.

A firefighter sustained lacerations to his hands from glass, and he was treated at Eastern Niagara Hospital in Lockport.

The Red Cross is helping four adults and three children with lodging.

blog comments powered by Disqus