BUFFALO, N.Y. (WIVB) – The New York State Thruway will soon be using wind energy to fuel five toll stops in Western New York.
The Thruway Authority has been installing turbines which will be owned and operated by the Authority to meet the power needs at each location.
The wind turbines are expected to save as much as 35 percent of the energy costs at each location.
These sites are:
- Dunkirk Interchange 59 (Town of Dunkirk)
- Eden/Angola Interchange 57A (Town of Evans)
- Silver Creek Interchange 58 (Town of Hanover)
- Ripley Toll Barrier (Town of Ripley)
- Westfield Maintenance Facility, near Interchange 60 (Town of Westfield)
Construction is nearing completion at some of the sites and all five should be up and running by the end of the year.