BUFFALO, N.Y. (WIVB) – The Better Business Bureau is warning consumers about a 5K race set to come to the Buffalo area in September.
The Dirty Girl Mud Run canceled their event in Charleston, West Virginia this week and told everyone who registered for the run that they will not receive any refunds “under any circumstances.”
The BBB says this is one of several races that have canceled their events with little notice and has refused to give refunds.
A 5K Foam Fest run was canceled in Ohio and southern California and participants were told they would not be given refunds. The company that holds the runs, Round House Racing Team, which is based in Utah, said on their website that as of July 17, they have ceased operations.
This race was held in Batavia on June 7.
The BBB warns anyone signing up for these events to do their homework and check the company’s BBB. Other tips include:
- Understand the terms and conditions – especially whether or not you will get a refund if the race is canceled
- Check the local venue – call the park or municipality to make sure the race is scheduled
- Pay with a credit card – that way you can dispute the charges
- Document your order – keep any confirmation emails you receive for future reference
- Check out the charity – many races are for-profit but say some of their proceeds will go to charity. Check out Give.org to make sure you donation is going somewhere reputable