Ripley man dies after fire sweeps through home

RIPLEY, N.Y. (WIVB) – A southern tier man died Tuesday evening after a fire inside his Ripley home.

Deputies say flames broke out around 4 p.m. at the home of Kevin Lantz on West Main Street. Investigators say the fire was started by an electronic device, which the 61-year-old was able to move to the porch before the blaze began to spread.

But officials say Lantz was unable to escape his home, most likely due to smoke inhalation. He was found inside by firefighters and rushed to Westfield Memorial Hospital, where he died a short time later.

The fire is still under investigation but first responders say it does appear to be accidental.

WIVB.com provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

blog comments powered by Disqus