BUFFALO, N.Y. (WIVB) – Nearby homes were evacuated after crews digging in a driveway ruptured a gas line.
Witnesses on the scene at Elmwood and Bidwell told News 4 the entire area smelled of natural gas for about an hour until crews from National Fuel clamped the line in the 100 block of Bidwell.
National Fuel says the damage was done by a private contractor who didn’t call before digging up the driveway of a residence.
The gas provider reminds everyone that state law requires you to call 811 before digging projects to prevent damage to underground utilities. The service is free of charge.
Fire crews say nearby homes were evacuated as a precautionary measure. Around 20 people were displaced due to the evacuations but have since been allowed to return to their homes.