Firefighters find steam pouring from room at elementary school

EAST AMHERST, N.Y. (WIVB) – An Amherst elementary school may not have heat Friday because of a fire scare in the boiler room.

Firefighters responded to a call of a fire at Dodge Elementary School late Thursday night, but it turned out to be something less serious.

Getzville Fire Chief Scott Preston said someone working at the school felt a door that was so hot, they thought there was a fire behind it.

“It turns out a contractor working here left a cap off of a steam pipe, which basically vented and blew steam out of a room,” said Getzville Fire Chief Scott Preston.

Preston said there was no major damage from the steam. Firefighters stayed to help clean up the mess.

He said Dodge Elementary will be opened Friday, but the students and staff may not have heat.

WIVB.com provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review. Note: Comments containing links are not allowed.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s