Bathroom fire closes floor of school

HAMBURG, N.Y. (WIVB) – A representative from Hamburg Central Schools told News 4 that there was a fire within a bathroom at Hamburg Middle School on Friday morning.

All students and staff are save but were evacuated late Friday morning. They were relocated to the high school for a portion of Friday but were moved back to the middle school in the afternoon.

Officials say the fire was started in a second floor bathroom and a middle school teacher sounded the alarm after smelling and seeing smoke. As everyone evacuated, the school’s head custodian rushed into action and was able to extinguish the fire by the time police and fire crews arrived.

After about an hour, students were allowed to return to classrooms on the first floor, though the second floor remained close due to the police investigation.

Dismissal of students from both the high school and middle school proceeded as normal. provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review. Note: Comments containing links are not allowed.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s