Los Angeles extends deal to snag NFL team

LOS ANGELES (AP) — The Los Angeles City Council has given developer AEG another six months to bring pro football back to the nation’s second-largest city.

Tuesday the council extended an agreement with Anschutz Entertainment Group to build a stadium in downtown Los Angeles and lure an NFL team.

The developer has had no luck under a 2012 deal that was set to expire this week. The new deadline is April.

Los Angeles hasn’t had an NFL franchise since losing the Rams and Raiders after the 1994 season.

Mayor Eric Garcetti has said he thinks it’s likely that LA will have a team within a year. He told radio station KFWB-AM on Tuesday that perhaps someone at the NFL owners’ meeting next spring will decide LA’s the place.

All speculation that Los Angeles would snag the Buffalo Bills was put to rest last week when NFL owners officially accepted Terry and Kim Pegula’s bid to buy the team. The $1.4 billion deal set a new record sale price for an NFL team.

WIVB.com provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review. Note: Comments containing links are not allowed.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s