BATAVIA, N.Y. (WIVB) – The City of Batavia fire captain said a rescue dog who died in a fire Monday morning likely saved the life of his owner. A fire broke out at 7 a.m. in the kitchen of an upstairs apartment on Wood Street.
Retired firefighter Frank Capuano sent the Report It photo to News 4 from the scene. It shows a firefighter helping the upstairs tenant down a ladder as black smoke poured from the second floor.
Captain Mark Mikolajczyk said, “When we interviewed him later he said he was sleeping at the time and was awoken by the dog barking, and when he woke up the smoke detectors were going off. He made his way to the front of the building and called for the dog. The dog did not respond so he broke the window and made his way onto the roof. From what he told us it was a rescue dog that he had picked up from the pound and all in all the dog ended up saving his life so, he rescued him.”
The Red Cross is now helping the upstairs tenant and three people from the downstairs apartment who escaped.