BUFFALO, N.Y. (WIVB) — Throughout Buffalo, a massive lake effect storm system has dumped an overload of snow on homes. That snow is currently posing a threat to many older or weaker structures.
Collapses have proved already to be deadly and damaging. A large collapse in Evans left the Flexovit manufacturing plant virtually in ruins. Erie County Executive Mark Poloncarz said the major employer lost much of its manufacturing capabilities, and a search and rescue would ensue. A preliminary search found no bodies and the plant was believed to be empty.
A collapse in Brant left one horse dead and three horses injured after a barn collapsed.
Zittel Farms’ greenhouses suffered a series of collapses which forced the grower to move plants. No word on the estimate of the damages.
Poloncarz held a conference call with most towns and villages affected by the snow storm. He came back with these numbers:
- Alden – One collapse.
- Aurora – Two collapses with two potential collapses being investigated.
- Blasdell – One potential collapse.
- Brant – Three collapses, including one major collapse which killed a horse.
- Depew – One collapse with 10 potential collapses being investigated.
- Elma – One potential collapse being investigated.
- Hamburg – Five collapses, three partial collapses.
- Lancaster – One building collapse.
- West Seneca – 12 building collapses
Officials stressed Thursday to clear snow off structures, otherwise houses could easily succumb to stress, especially as snow begins to melt.