WILLIAMSVILLE, N.Y. (WIVB) — Forty-five residents of the St. Francis Nursing Home in Williamsville were evacuated Thursday night after the wheel on an electric wheelchair began smoking.
The Williamsville Fire Dept. says it happened in an unoccupied room. The residents were evaluated and two residents and one staff member were taken to Millard Fillmore Suburban Hospital for possible smoke inhalation.
Joanne Cavanaugh, the director of public relations for the nursing home, said the displaced residents will stay in another part of the facility until crews can clean up the smoke and water damage.
Cavanaugh said it appears the wheelchair overheated. She said it’s not clear how much damage was done.