Wheelchair fire leads to nursing home evacuation

WILLIAMSVILLE, N.Y. (WIVB) — Forty-five residents of the St. Francis Nursing Home in Williamsville were evacuated Thursday night after the wheel on an electric wheelchair began smoking.

The Williamsville Fire Dept. says it happened in an unoccupied room.  The residents were evaluated and two residents and one staff member were taken to Millard Fillmore Suburban Hospital for possible smoke inhalation.

Joanne Cavanaugh, the director of public relations for the nursing home, said the displaced residents will stay in another part of the facility until crews can clean up the smoke and water damage.

Cavanaugh said it appears the wheelchair overheated.  She said it’s not clear how much damage was done.

WIVB.com provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review. Note: Comments containing links are not allowed.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s