Man dies in South Buffalo house fire

BUFFALO, N.Y. (WIVB) – A fire on Weyand Avenue, in South Buffalo, claimed a 73-year-old man’s life Monday morning. Two dogs also died in the fire.

A friend on the scene said the victim had lung cancer, and only had one to two more months to live. She said she believes the fire started when he tried to light a cigarette with oxygen tanks inside the home.

There is no confirmed report on the start of the blaze. The fire commissioner said they have been to the address before, but he wouldn’t say the number of times or the reason.

The damage is estimated at $100,000, with $80,000 damage to the structure.

 

WIVB.com provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review. Note: Comments containing links are not allowed.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s