WILLIAMSVILLE, N.Y. (WIVB) — A fire broke out Saturday afternoon around 1 p.m. at Carmine’s along Transit Road.
“Something happened to the grill that it flamed up,” says Michael Jacobbi, the restaurant’s owner. “It got out of control. Our fire sprinkler system went off but apparently there was something lingering that went through the whole restaurant.It became uncontrollable.”
Jacobbi says the building itself has been in his family for years.His dad bought it in the 1970s and opened a supper club. Jacobbi opened the Italian restaurant in 1993.
“It means a lot,” says the longtime owner. “It’s what I do.”
He was at the Taste of Buffalo when hearing about the fire at his establishment. He rushed over to find it in flames.
“I was just so bewildered.”
The restaurant did open their booth at the Taste of Buffalo for a few hours. They had food in a cooler they had rented for the weekend. After that supply ran out, they had to close their space. They did hang a sign reading “We will be back, bigger and better. Thank you for your support.”
Between the fire itself and the water damage from the sprinkler system, the building is ruled a complete loss. Jacobbi says they plan on being up and running within six months.