BUFFALO, N.Y. (WIVB) – Just two weeks after signing a seven year, $52 million contract, rising Sabres star Ryan O’Reilly has been charged for driving while impaired. Fans News 4 spoke with say they are disappointed to hear such a veteran made, what they call, a rookie move.
Middlesex County Ontario Provincial Police say O’Reilly crashed his green Chevrolet pick-up truck into a Richmond Street building and fled the scene just last week. O’Reilly had just posted a picture of his truck weeks before on Instagram.
He was charged with driving while ability impaired and failure to remain [at the scene] under the Highway Traffic Act. Fans we spoke with had mixed reactions about the news.
Some say they don’t want this to be an example for their kids. Others are still hoping he turns the Sabres around, and they don’t think this will be a reflection of his season.
Eric Fox from Buffalo said, “Naturally, it’s a big mistake on his part. But with the drought the Sabre have had, all will be forgotten if he puts a few pucks in the net and the Sabres get back in the playoffs.”
Dave Mitman from Buffalo agreed, “People make mistakes, and I’m sure once the season starts he will do fine and perform for us as our number one center.”
Bailey Giambelluca from Buffalo said, “Either way I will probably go and hang out. You have to support Buffalo. Buffalo is a really great support system for all of their sports teams.”
Buffalo Sabres General Manager Tim Murray has released the following statement regarding forward Ryan O’Reilly: “We are aware of the reports regarding the incident involving Ryan O’Reilly last week. We are currently in the process of gathering more information and will have no further comment until we have spoken with all parties involved.”
O’Reilly is set to appear in court on August 20.