Western New Yorkers are invited to celebrate Hispanic Heritage Month September 15 to October 15. The full calendar of events begins with recognition of the national holiday at the Buffalo & Erie County Library, One Lafayette Square, noon, Tuesday September 15, 2015.
The opening ceremony will be attended by civic and community leaders from local, state and the federal government. Community service organizations will offer information about programs specifically for Buffalo’s Hispanic community. The Hispanic Heritage Council (HHC) will unveil an art exhibit titled Echando Raices: Hispanics Building a Life and Legacy in Western New York, which will be on display during the month long celebration.
“We believe this celebration of Hispanic culture, history and heritage will be enjoyed by all Western New Yorkers as we embrace the diversity of our region and support our community’s rich customs,” said Casimiro D. Rodríguez Sr., Chairman of HHC.
The HHC, in collaboration with the arts and cultural groups from our region, is proud to offer a full schedule of events. Each program is family-friendly and culturally informative. Guests are encouraged to bring a bar of soap to each event which will be donated to the Buffalo City Mission.
- Featured events are a mixture of music, food and art, including:
- Tuesday, September 15: Buffalo History Museum – Hispanic Heritage Month Official Kick-off
- Saturday, September 19: Canalside – GOYA Foods Brings Latin Flavor to Canalside
- Saturday, September 19: Kleinhans Music Hall – Johnny Ray Salsa Con Clase Orquesta
- Saturday, September 26: Buffalo State College – “Cuarte to Bravo” Tango Dance Demonstration
- Sunday, September 27: Buffalo Science Museum – Hispanic Cuisine Cooking Demonstration
- Thursday, October 15: Herman Badillo Bilingual Academy, in a special event, will honor the pioneers and surviving family members responsible for bilingual education in the Buffalo Public Schools
For more information about Hispanic Heritage Month events or HHC, visit: HispanicHeritageWNY.org
The Hispanic Heritage Council of Western New York Inc., is a nonprofit organization that fosters and inspires awareness, understanding and appreciation of the Hispanic community in the region. The organization is dedicated to preserving the history of Hispanic people living and working in Western New York for future generations. For more information or to submit information about upcoming events, visit HispanicHeritageWNY.org.