Fallen light blamed for fire on building roof

Scene of building fire, 700 Michigan Avenue, Buffalo

Buffalo, N.Y. (WIVB) — A fire Friday night that caused about $15,000 in damage to a building in Buffalo likely started because of a light that fell on combustible material, according to a fire chief.

People near the building on 700 Michigan Avenue noticed flames and called for help.

First responders found the fire on the roof and put it out quickly.

“We had to open it up, similar to what to do if you got your tooth done and you have a cavity, where it was burning we had to dig around, dig in there and make sure it wasn’t any deep seeded smoldering in there and get it all out,” said Peter Kertzie, Division Chief, Buffalo Fire Department.

There are no reports of injuries.

WIVB.com provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review. Note: Comments containing links are not allowed.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s