BUFFALO, N.Y. (WIVB) — Wednesday, November 11 is Veteran’s Day, a time to show appreciation for U.S. service members.
Various events and celebrations will be happening across western New York. Here is a list of them:
- The Amherst Senior Center will host a ceremonial tribute to veterans and lunch from 11 a.m. until 1 p.m. on Tuesday, November 10.
- Veterans will be honored at ceremonies on Forest Lawn on Delaware Ave starting at 8 a.m. Included are the Erie County American Legion Ceremony, Daughters of the American Revolution Ceremony and a reception for Vietnam veterans and their families.
- Forest Lawn Saunter — This 3-mile walk is presented by the Foothills Trail Club at 10 a.m. Meet-up is in the administration building parking lot at the corner of Delevan Avenue and Delaware Avenue. You’ll explore the cemetery and visit the main veterans section at 11 a.m. In the event of heavy rain, the walk will be cancelled. More information at 548-8039.
- A Veterans Day celebration will take place at VA Western New York Healthcare System at 3495 Bailey Avenue at 1 p.m. The event will take place in Freedom Hall, Room 301.
- High Five for the Military — The Buffalo Zoo will discount admission to members of the U.S. military and up to four guests will be admitted to the Zoo for $5. A valid military ID must be presented. The event goes from 10 a.m. until 4 p.m. at the Buffalo Zoo, 300 Parkside Avenue.
- Veterans Day at the Gardens — Veterans are admitted free to this event with a valid ID.
- An inaugural Veterans Day 5K Race at Buffalo Naval & Military Park at Canalside will start at 11 a.m. The proceeds of this race will go toward the Soldiers Angels Christmas Care Package Project. The Veterans Day 5K Race is encouraging participants to “Run in their Boots” by running in combat boots or the civilian equivalent; those who do will receive a special gift at the end of the race. Red poppies will be given to each veteran that finishes the race. There will be a post-race party at the Liberty Hound restaurant with raffles and giveaways. Check out the race’s website for information on how to register.
- The Buffalo City Mission on E. Tupper Street will be honoring homeless veterans with a flag raising ceremony, followed by a reception. The ceremony will start at 10 a.m.
- Signs unveiling Erie County as Purple Heart County will be unveiled Tuesday, November 10. The event will happen outside the County Building at the Veteran’s Memorial at 95 Franklin Street. In case of rain, the event will take place inside the County Executive’s office on the 16th floor of the building at 12:30 p.m.
- The annual Kenmore Veterans Day Ceremony honors veterans and active service members of the military at 11 a.m. at the Village Green, Kenmore Municipal Building, 2919 Delaware Avenue. The event is free.
- The Niagara Falls Veterans Memorial Commission will be celebrating Veterans Day at the Niagara Falls Veterans Monument at Hyde Park on Pine Avenue and Hyde Park Boulevard at 11 a.m. Wednesday.
- Sen. Robert Ortt, AT&T and Niagara County Veterans Service Agency have teamed up with the nonprofit Cell Phones for Soldiers. They will be collecting cell phones and tablets until December 7 at the following locations:
Senator Ortt’s District Office: 175 Walnut St., Suite 6, Lockport
Hoag Library: 134 S. Main St., Albion
Lockport DMV Office: 111 Main St., Suite G1, Lockport
Niagara County Veterans Service Agency: 111 Main St., Suite 200, Lockport
Niagara Falls Housing Authority: 744 10th Street, Niagara Falls
North Tonawanda DMV Office: 500 Wheatfield St., North Tonawanda
Seymour Public Library: 161 East Ave., Brockport
All AT&T Stores in WNY including: 5724 S. Transit Rd., Lockport; 8292 Niagara Falls Blvd., Niagara Falls Niagara Falls Blvd., Tonawanda; 1741 Sheridan Dr., Tonawanda; 8200 Transit Rd., Amherst; Galleria Mall, 1 Walden Galleria Dr., 2nd Floor, Cheektowaga; 4900 Transit Rd., Depew; 3505 Amelia Dr., Orchard Park.
- BPO Salute to Veterans — The BPO honors veterans, their families and the community with this free Veterans Day concert at the Riviera Theatre. The Fifth and Sixth Grade Meadow Elementary School Chorus and Buffalo Suzuki Strings join the orchestra in paying tribute to those who fought for our country. Copland’s “Lincoln Portrait” will be narrated by North Tonawanda mayor Arthur G. Pappas. Garrett Martin, organist and music director of Buffalo’s Westminster Presbyterian Church, will perform on the theatre’s iconic Mighty Wurlitzer organ. Stefan Sanders is on the podium, 7 p.m. at the Riviera Theatre, 67 Webster St., North Tonawanda; 692-2413.
- West Seneca Veterans Day Ceremony — The event features speakers and the color guard from the VFW Post 735 at 11 a.m at the Town Hall, 1250 Union Road at the Veterans Memorial Park Walkway of Freedom.
- Members of the George F. Lamm American Legion Post #622 will conduct a Veterans Day ceremony sponsored by the Town of Amherst and the Williamsville Cemetery at 11 a.m. at the Williamsville Cemetery, 5402 Main St., Williamsville. The event is free.