Amherst home catches fire early Monday morning

AMHERST, N.Y. (WIVB) — A fire broke out at a home in Amherst around 1 a.m. Monday morning.

Wind made it too dangerous for firefighters to go inside the Berkley Road home, according to Main Transit Fire Department Acting Chief Daniel Hooper.

“We went into defensive mode,” says Hooper. “We knew the structure was vacant. We didn’t want to risk the lives of our firefighters.”

Several neighbors had to leave their homes in case the fire spread. One other house had minor damage.

No one was hurt.

WIVB.com provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review. Note: Comments containing links are not allowed.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s