Frozen hydrants cause issues after clothing iron starts fire in Town of Tonawanda home

TOWN OF TONAWANDA, N.Y. (WIVB) — A 6 a.m. Town of Tonawanda fire was extinguished Monday morning and left an icy mess.

The fire happened at a two-family home on Roswell Ave. Similar to another Monday fire in Ontario County, frozen hydrants gave fire crews trouble at the scene.

Despite this, the fire was brought under control about one half hour after crews arrived.

A clothing iron that was left on was determined to be the cause of the fire.

Only one person was inside the home at the time and no one was hurt. The Red Cross is assisting several families who were displaced by the fire.

Overall, the fire caused at least $100,000 in damage. Investigators were at the scene. provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review. Note: Comments containing links are not allowed.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s