CHEEKTOWAGA, N.Y. (WIVB) — A blazing house fire in Cheektowaga briefly closed Dick Road from Lydia Lane to Claudette Court Thursday morning.
It started in the basement of a house on Harris Court around 7:45 a.m., and it took a lot of crews quite a bit of time to put it out.
Fire officials say the fire was called in by the homeowner who spotted flames coming out of the house’s electric panel.
When fire crews arrived, they found the flames had spread up through the house and were coming out of the roof. The firefighters initially entered the home through the front door, but found the floor had been compromised and were forced to continue the fight from the outside of the house.
It took a lot of water and manpower to get the flames out of control, and getting enough manpower to the scene was a challenge:
“Daytime manpower, we were really low, unfortunately,” said U-Crest Fire Chief Ron Pocobello. “I have my mutual aid companies to thank. They came and we did what we had to do to get that fire out.”
“The fire stretched to the second floor and that’s what made it very difficult because we couldn’t make our way into the structure after the basement was compromised,” Pocobello added.
Firefighters also had to take extra precautions because they were told there was ammunition in a safe in the home. Chief Pocobello says as the heat spread, they heard a pop as that ammunition exploded.
No one was hurt in the fire.