NORTH CHARLESTON, S.C. (MEDIA GENERAL) — It has been a year since the shooting of Walter Scott by a South Carolina police officer, but one year ago on April 4, the world did not know the video existed.
In that now infamous video, Former North Charleston police officer Michael Slager is seen shooting at a fleeing Walter Scott 8 times, 5 of those bullets striking Scott and killing him.
Slager has since been charged with murder and is out on bond.
On Monday, the family of Walter Scott visited his grave site at Live Oak Memorial Gardens, then placed flowers on his headstone and shared words on the anniversary of his killing.
Members of the National Action Network, the North Charleston NAACP and the Coalition of People United to Take Back Our Community gathered at the shooting site behind the Mega Pawn for a vigil.
After the owners of the property asked everyone to leave a few minutes before the start of a prayer vigil, Elder James Johnson of the National Action Network said he wants the City of North Charleston to buy the property and turn it into a permanent Walter Scott Memorial Park.
Many say Walter Scott did not die in vain.
Attorney for the Scott family, Justin Bamberg, said, “Since that time a year ago, we have seen change begin to happen here in South Carolina.”
Governor Nikki Haley fast tracked a bill into law requiring all police officers in the state to wear body cameras. A bill that likely wouldn’t have made it through the House and Senate so quickly if it weren’t for the video of Scott’s death.
Members of Black Lives Matter Charleston placed the original items from last year’s memorial back at the Mega Pawn property, complete with a picture of Scott, and the original crime scene tape from a year ago.
Rev. Nelson Rivers of NAN said, “We hope, now that we have more African-Americans on city council, maybe we can move from a plantation to a city.”
Michael Slager’s trial begins October 31.