BUFFALO N.Y. (WIVB) – A week away from the NFL Draft, General Manager Doug Whaley confidently stated that the Bills will adding to their quarterback depth.
“We only have two and we’re going to take three to camp. So out of sheer numbers, we just need another one.” Whaley said Wednesday afternoon.
But, just because they are taking a quarterback doesn’t mean veteran Tyrod Taylor should fear losing his starting job.
“Coach and everybody said since last year that Tyrod is our starter. Tyrod is the guy is the guy we are going into the season with.” Whaley added. “Unforeseen circumstances, hopefully no injuries or anything knock-on-wood. But he is our starter and I don’t see why we have to talk to him. But I talked to him today. I talked to him today, I talk to him all the time. So he is not the type that is insecure like ‘are you going to add somebody?’ No.”
Head Coach Rex Ryan has reiterated in the offseason that he has even more confidence in sticking with Taylor now that he has a season of starting experience under his belt.
“He’s going to benefit a great deal. There’s no question about that. I think our football team’s going to benefit a great deal by already having a guy that we know is going to be our quarterback.” Ryan said earlier in the week.
Taylor agrees last season was an essential learning experience.
“Definitely, just having a full year under your belt. Like you said established myself as a leader on the offense and for the team. Definitely it brings more confidence and more responsibility. Having a full year under Coach [Greg] Roman’s offense he expects more out of me and expects more out of our offensive unit, and we expect more among the players as well.” The starting quarterback said. “We are holding ourselves to a high standard this offseason and everyone is going to go in the classroom and put in the work.”
Whaley has also said that the Bills are “actively seeking” to get a deal done with Taylor.