WARWICK, R.I. (WPRI) — A Warwick man arrested in connection with an ISIS-inspired terror plot is facing new federal charges.
Federal prosecutors claim Nicholas Rovinski has continued his support of ISIS, even since his arrest last year. They said he tried to recruit people for the terror organization from behind bars.
A new indictment states:
“Since his arrest on June 11, 2015, Rovinski has continued to engage in activity designed to further the conspirators’ plan to commit violent attacks inside the United States.
“In or about August 2015, Rovinski again pledged his allegiance to ISIL and its leader, ‘Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi,’ writing his pledge of support on the back of the criminal complaint that had charged him in this case.
“Additionally, while in jail, Rovinski has attempted to recruit people to assist in the execution of their plan to commit violent attacks in the United States and to decapitate non-believers.”
Rovinski was initially arrested, along with David Wright of Everett, Massachusetts, last June. Authorities say they plotted with Boston terror suspect Usaamah Rahim to behead conservative blogger Pamela Geller, who wasn’t harmed.
Rovinski is a graduate of Pilgrim High School in Warwick. Authorities staked out his home on Aspinet Drive for days before the FBI arrested him.
Rahim was killed June 2 by investigators who say Rahim lunged at them with a military-style knife.
Last summer, Rovinski pleaded not guilty to the first set of charges.
Target 12 reached out to his attorney Thursday but was told he wasn’t available for comment.
Rovinski is scheduled to be arraigned on these new charges next Thursday.