Veterinary intern saves dog from death after discovering paralyzing tick

OREGON (WIVB) — They say cats have nine lives, but this dog in Oregon has another shot too.

When Ollie developed onset paralysis, leaving him unable to stand, walk or go to bathroom, his owners and his vet made a difficult decision. They thought they were going to have to put him down, but a veterinary intern found the real problem: Ollie picked up a tick behind his ear on a recent camping trip.

Ollie’s owner Falline Fate said, “He was in the room about to get put to sleep, and it was just pure grace that the people found something and decided to check it out further.”

The dog’s vet says that paralysis from ticks is pretty rare, but can happen with certain types of ticks.

Ollie’s owners say they will definitely keep up with tick and flea medication from here on out.

WIVB.com provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review. Note: Comments containing links are not allowed.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s