BUFFALO, N.Y. (WIVB)- At least 41 people were killed and more than 200 injured in Tuesday’s suicide bombing attacks at an airport in Istanbul, Turkey.
Dr. Bayram Arman flew out of Istanbul three weeks ago and plans to go back next week, despite the attacks.
His brother, who lives in Turkey, sent him a WhatsApp message after the attack.
“I looked at the message and I was just shocked,” said Arman.
Three suicide bombers detonated their vests at different parts of Ataturk Airport, according to authorities.
“It’s reprehensible, unacceptable to have this attack in an airport that’s really a diverse airport,” said Arman. “If you go there you’ll see the entire world.”
About 61 million people traveled through the airport in 2015, according to its website. It’s a hub for travel to the Middle East, Africa and Asia.
Arman moved to the U.S. in the 1980’s but visits Turkey frequently. He’s flown into Istanbul six or seven times in the last year.
“Before you go to the terminal, you have to pass through x-ray and after you get your ticket, you have to pass through the x-ray,” he said. “Before you get on a U.S. plane or Canadian plane or Israeli plane, you have to go through x-rays so there is a lot of security.”
The attacks happened before the first security checkpoint. It’s the latest in a string of attacks in Turkey this year.
“Turkey has paid probably one of the largest prices in terms of terrorism that has emanated from the instability that is created in the Middle East,” he said.
It won’t deter his family from visiting the country on Wednesday.
“You always have some concern behind your mind but that’s the goal of the terrorists and terrorism, to stop you from doing your regular day to day activities or vacation,” said Arman. “We are not going to stop.”