BUFFALO, N.Y. (WIVB) — During and around the time of the anniversary of the September 11 terrorist attacks, ceremonies honoring those who lost their lives and the ones who gave their lives protecting others will take place in western New York.
Here is the list of events taking place in western New York. Check back here for updates as more will be added.
- Sept. 8 — Town of Amherst 9/11 Committee Flag Staking event — Flags will be displayed on the front lawn of the Amherst Municipal Building at 5583 Main St. in Williamsville. The event goes from 3:30-5 p.m.
- Sept. 10 — 9/11 Ceremony of Remembrance at Memorial Hill Grove — The ceremony will have a living memorial to the victims of the 9/11 attacks. The event begins at 9:30 a.m.
- Sept. 9 — 9/11 Remembrance Ceremony and Community Outreach Event — The VA Western New York Healthcare System at 222 Richmond Ave. in Batavia will hold an event in the auditorium of Building 4. The event will go from 10 a.m. until Noon.
- Sept. 11 — 9/11 Remembrance Bike & Car Run — Registration for this event will take place at the Brocton American Legion Post 434 at 11:30 a.m. A bus will be available for anyone wishing not to drive. Presale tickets for the bus cost $10, and will increase to $15 on Sunday. Presale for bikes costs $10 single and $20 double. Food, raffles, a chinese auction and live music will take place. Ticket information can be found by calling either 785-4855, 785-2774 or 680-3277.
- Sept. 10 — National 9/11 Remembrance 5K — A 5K Run/Walk will mark the 15th anniversary of the Sept. 11, 2001 attacks at 8:30 a.m. The event will begin at the Key Bank Center (the former First Niagara Center.)
- Sept. 11 — 4th Annual 9/11 Dawn to Dusk Moving Tribute — This event will go from sunrise until sunset at Delaware Park Agassiz Circle Entrance.
- Sept. 11 — 3rd Annual Peace-Justice-Nonviolence Festival and Walk. The 2:30 p.m. event at Canalside will begin with a peace walk to the Erie Basin Marina gardens. There will be food, music, speakers and fun for children.
- Sept. 11 — 9/11 Tribute — Police and fire officials in Niagara Falls will honor those killed in the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks. The event will take place at 9:30 a.m. at Firehouse 8 at Royal Ave. and Hyde Park Blvd.
- Sept. 9-11 — 9/11 Memorial at Healing Field — Gratwick Riverside Park — On Friday, there will be a tribute to fallen Iraq and Afghanistan veterans at 6 p.m. On Saturday at 10 a.m., a tribute to fallen Vietnam veterans and a motorcycle ride led by Patriot Riders will take place. Sunday will have an 8 a.m. reading of the names of those killed in the 9/11 attacks. At 1:30 p.m., a tribute to fallen first responders will take place followed by a closing ceremony and concert.
- Sept. 11 — 9/11 Remembrance Ceremony — Police and Fire Departments in North Tonawanda and the City of Tonawanda will hold a remembrance ceremony at the Renaissance bridge between the two cities. The event will start at 7 p.m.