BUFFALO, N.Y. (WIVB) — If you noticed a lot more people at Canalside this year, your eyes did not deceive you. Gov. Andrew Cuomo says Summer attendance increased by approximately 500,000 people this year.
New games, food, art and other events and activities are being cited for the dramatic 50 percent spike in attendance that added up to roughly 1.5 million visitors.
“Buffalo’s transformed waterfront is an engine of Western New York’s resurgence that continues to fuel tourism, create jobs and increase economic opportunity for the entire region,” Cuomo said. “More and more people are taking advantage of unique outdoor recreational activities and world class entertainment opportunities offered by Canalside and the Outer Harbor and I urge all visitors from across New York and beyond to experience these great Queen City attractions for themselves and see why Buffalo is a city on the move.”
More people at Canalside this Summer not only helped the Outer Harbor, which saw almost 250,000 visitors, but local businesses as well.
Cuomo says that the Queen City Bike Ferry brought 55,000 people across the river, BlueCross BlueShield had more than 14,000 people at their exercise series, and 10,000 people created unique works of art at The Art Space.
Canalside and the Outer Harbor, which are open year-round, have a number of activities in store for the Fall season. They can be found below:
- The Dish – Open weekends until Columbus Day weekend
- Fall Fest – Saturday, October 8
- Halloween Activities – Throughout October
- The Ice at Canalside – Thanksgiving weekend, weather permitting
- Consumer’s Beverages “The Pointe” – Open through mid-October, weather permitting
- Outer Harbor Kayak and Bike Rentals – Open weekends through October
- Independent Health Wellness Trail – Year round
- Love in Motion Yoga Classes – Wednesday nights through September
- Life in Color Concert – September 16
- Outer Harbor Fall Festival and Oktoberfest – October 15