BUFFALO, N.Y. (WIVB) — Nick Jones was sitting on his couch like any ordinary Monday night when the unthinkable happened.
“My computer started to make a weird noise next to me on the couch it was off and charging then all of a sudden it started to pop and explode and there was this loud noise,” said Nicholas Jones of Buffalo.
He says within a matter of seconds, the couch was on fire.
“I put the fire out on the couch and after the fire was out the battery cells inside the computer started to explode,” said Jones.
Jones said that then ignited the rug and chair resulting in over $1,800 worth of damage. He also suffered first degree chemical burns on his hands and arms.
“I think stuff sort of sprayed at me cause I sort of went like this and I think that’s how I got the burns on my arm,” said Jones.
Jones said he ordered the replacement lithium-ion battery from Amazon for his Compaq Presario CQ57 laptop.
“I was trying to chase down HP because it was a Hewlett-Packard laptop and they gave me the run around until I got far enough with their customer service they said it would be on their insurance and the insurance ruled that it was not their battery so they were not liable for it,” said Jones.
He says he also contacted Amazon. He says an employee told him since they approved the seller and shipped the item, Amazon is liable so they will cover the damage. But it’s been a month since the incident and Jones says he still hasn’t been compensated.
“And then you’re worried about like every time you leave the house is it safe now that it exploded can I even leave it around are other laptops a concern,” said Jones.
In June HP recalled nearly 50 thousand HP and Compaq Presario computers after several reports of battery packs overheating, melting, or burning. Nick says he was not aware of the recall, and says he didn’t receive any notifications from HP or Amazon.