BUFFALO, N.Y (WIVB) — With her “Girls are super starts” shirt, hair in bright braids and maybe a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle mask, you’d hardly know 2-year-old Leah Lee was severely burned this summer.
“Sixteen percent of her body,” according to Leah’s mother, Indaysha Chambers.
Chambers believes Leah’s step mom is responsible; that mistakes were made when she was giving the little girl a bath in late July.
Buffalo police are investigating. As of Tuesday, no charges had been filed. News 4 is not naming the woman because she has not been charged with a crime.
“She told me she was washing her hair, (and said) ‘I was washing her hair, and the water was a little too hot, so she got red marks on her neck. The doctors said she’d be able to leave today,'” Chambers remembered the step mom said. “But when I got to the hospital, it was a whole different story.”
Chambers said she couldn’t believe her eyes.
“This is more serious. This is not an accident,” she said.
Second and third degree burns on her back, neck and head.
Chambers said Leah’s step mom kept changing her story.
Medical records presented to News 4 show the same, according to how doctors noted the baby’s injuries in her discharge report. Doctors also doubt the story that little Leah may have turned on the faucets herself, saying at her age, it would be unlikely.
I’m really not looking for anything,” Chamber said. “I just want the truth.”
Chambers said the traumatic experience has changed her little girl.
“She can’t leave my side. She won’t leave my side. She’s scared,” she said. “She will not take a bath, unless she’s with her brother. She will not let me wash her hair. She won’t let me wash her, she has to do it up herself.”
Chamber said she often has to wake her daughter from nightmares.
“I just apologize to her and I just tell her that she has a lot of people supporting her, a lot of people praying.”