Nightclub on W. Chippewa St. closes after order from police, city officials

BUFFALO, N.Y. (WIVB) — The lights are off at the downtown Buffalo bar Nightclub. Police and city officials ordered it to close immediately late Monday afternoon.

“The operators of this business knew that they needed to take precautions to make sure there weren’t incidents and this was the final straw,” said Mayor Byron Brown.

Nightclub is located at 45 W Chippewa St., formerly known as “4Play Nightclub”.

City officials said over the last five months, people have made numerous 911 calls about fights and assaults at Nightclub. We’re told that has escalated over the last few weeks, especially over the weekend.

Police told News 4 that around 2:30 a.m. on Saturday someone was stabbed during a fight inside the bar. The fight was so large, club security used pepper spray to clear people out of the bar, according to a letter from Police Commissioner Daniel Derenda.

The letter was posted to the club door on Monday. It said the fight continued into the road and police had to close the street to traffic.

The next night, police said there were more fights and three shots were fired in a nearby parking lot.

“Our goal is not to close businesses in the community but, as we have demonstrated in the past, if the safety of patrons is threatened, or these establishments aren’t doing their proper due diligence to keep their patrons safe, the city will step in,” said Mayor Brown.

This is the second time this year a Chippewa club has been shut down. The Lodge was closed in June after gunshots were fired during a massive fight. It reopened in July after agreeing to new rules.

City officials told News 4 that since late 2014, there have been about half a dozen bars shut down for violence city-wide, including Mangoz and Impulse.

The Nightclub could get a second chance.

“Now the process begins for the Nightclub to appeal to reopen, which may or may not occur,” said Mayor Brown.

A city spokesperson told us Nightclub and the city will try to reach an agreement. If that doesn’t happen, the bar will likely have hearings with the city.

We reached out to the bar’s owners and haven’t heard back yet.

Mayor Brown told News 4 the NYS Liquor Authority has been notified of the closure. provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review. Note: Comments containing links are not allowed.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s