BUFFALO, N.Y. (WIVB) — Buffalo school officials say four students were sent to a hospital Wednesday after drinking a suspicious liquid containing over-the-counter medicine.
A teacher at School #3 discovered an 8th-grade student in possession of a bottle that appeared to contain a suspicious liquid. The concoction allegedly had a mixture of things, including cold medicine and sleep aid.
The student admitted to sharing the substance, known as “Lean,” with three other students. The drink, which commonly contains Sprite and Jolly Rancher candy, has also been called “Purple Drank” and “Dirty Sprite.”
Will Keresztes, the Chief of Intergovernmental Affairs for Buffalo Public Schools, said, “I can’t underestimate the seriousness of this, this could have been a tragedy today, and we wouldn’t have been talking about students recovering and having a 2nd chance at getting healthy, we would be talking about something horrible.”
Erie County Commissioner of Health Dr. Gale Burstein said in a statement, “According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, poisoning is the leading cause of injury-related mortality in the United States, with more than 40,000 deaths annually. Drugs account for 90% of poisoning deaths, and the number of deaths from drug poisoning has increased substantially in recent years. Parents are the strongest force to protect their children from drug abuse. The best solution for drug abuse is to talk to our kids, and talk early.”
The students were dismissed from the hospital Wednesday afternoon.
The matter is under investigation.