BUFFALO, N.Y. (WIVB) — A scary situation for 3 first grade students at a Buffalo Public School. They were rushed to the hospital after they got a hold of their substitute teacher’s prescription pills. It comes after several students were sent to the hospital for drinking a suspicious mixture just last week.
Luckily in both incidents the kids are okay. In the most recent incident a mom called the newsroom telling News 4 that a student gave the pills out thinking they were candy.
It happened at the Frank Sedita Buffalo public school number 30. A substitute teacher brought narcotic prescription pills with her to school. Buffalo public school officials say three children in her classroom may have touched or removed the pills from her purse. One of the students admitted to swallowing a pill
It’s one of two incidents. Last Wednesday an 8th grade student at the D’Youville Central Porter Campus school brought a dangerous mixture of soda with over the counter cold medication and a sleep aid to school and shared that with 3 other students.
“It speaks to the importance of adult supervision of adults educating their children about the dangers of ingesting something that they don’t know. Tragically there are a lot of deaths that occur due to ingestion of controlled substances or just other house hold items,” said Dr. Steven Lana, Buffalo Public Schools Medical Director.
Dr. Lana says both of the incidents were isolated, and it’s not part of a trend in Buffalo schools.
News 4 reached out for a comment from the district, and asked what will happen with the substitute teacher but did not back.