BUFFALO, N.Y. (WIVB) — A man managed to escape as flames and smoke filled his upstairs apartment Monday near Hamlin Park. Firefighters rushed to the home on Florida Street around 4 a.m.
Firefighters tell News 4 the fire started in the upstairs apartment. Another resident was not home at the time.
Firefighters moved quickly to get it under control even in the midst of heavy smoke. “We had a fire in the rear bedroom on the second floor, and it extended up into the attic. We got the roof open right away, got it vented, and our crews did a good job. This is our bread and butter. This is what we do, and we’re good at it,” Fire Chief Michael Biasillo said.
The fire did about $50,000 in damage.