Local leaders discuss how to keep homes safe from lead poisoning

BUFFALO, N.Y. (WIVB) — Some Buffalo homeowners now have a better idea how to keep their homes safe from lead poisoning.

This is a big issue for some Buffalo neighborhoods.

The Erie County Health Commissioner and leaders from Buffalo and Rochester were a part of a panel discussion Thursday night at the Merriweather Library in Buffalo.

The most common cause of lead poisoning comes from ingesting old lead-based paint.

The leaders say lead poisoning is a toxic symptom of a larger problem in certain parts of the city.

Sam Magavern, with the Partnership for the Public Good, said “You see it in the high-poverty, inner-city neighborhoods around the country, and certainly in Buffalo where we have some of the oldest housing stock in the country, and very concentrated poverty and racial segregation.”

Lead poisoning can lead to cognitive and behavioral problems in children, and can be especially dangerous for pregnant women.

WIVB.com provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review. Note: Comments containing links are not allowed.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s