BUFFALO, N.Y. (WIVB) — Many will be proudly displaying their American flags on July 4th, but if a flag is flown or used improperly, it can be seen as a sign of disrespect toward the country and its people.
Here are some tips for properly displaying your flag this holiday, courtesy of Nexstar contributing station WWLP:
- The flag should never touch the ground.
- “Old Glory” should never be used as clothing, or as part of a costume or athletic uniform.
- The flag should never be draped over the hood of a car.
- Do not use the flag to carry or hold anything.
- The flag should be allowed to fly freely — it should not be drawn back, held up, or put into artificial folds.