CHEEKTOWAGA, N.Y. (WIVB) — Residents living in Cheektowaga’s Glenwood Court neighborhood said they heard a loud boom a few minutes before noon Wednesday, and then their power went out.
When they came outside to find out what it was, they said they heard National Grid workers screaming to call 911.
Cheektowaga police said the worker was shocked about about ten minutes before noon, and was rushed to ECMC. At about 1 p.m., the power pole the man ws installing was left charred and leaning.
The lineman’s condition wasn’t known by News 4 on Wednesday, but his injuries weren’t believed to be life-threatening.
National Grid confirmed the man was being treated for injuries.
On Thursday, News 4 learned the man’s condition had improved. National Grid said “His family is by his side and he is in good spirits.”
The company declined to say what the lineman was doing when he was shocked, other than he was injured while performing his job duties.
In a statement, a spokesman for National Grid said the safety of their employees continues to be their priority and that they’re conducting a full investigation.
Cheektowaga police will conduct a separate investigation, following state protocol that requires law enforcement agencies to investigate industrial accidents.
Representatives from Occupational Safety and Health Administration said the agency is investigating. Workers were at the scene Wednesday afternoon, and are expected to interview the lineman once he’s released from the hospital.
An estimated 256 National Grid customers were without power until approximately 5 p.m.