Copper cups could poison Moscow Mule drinkers

LOS ANGELES (WIVB) — When making a Moscow Mule, many bartenders use cups that look like copper, but are actually stainless steel.

There is a concern about actual copper cups. They could poison drinkers.

According to health officials, the acid in the Moscow Mule cocktail can leech out the copper metal, and once it’s swallowed, it can cause stomach pains, unpleasant trips to the bathroom, or worse.

Our CBS affiliate in Los Angeles spoke with customers at one bar, who appreciated the heads up, but they don’t plan to change their drinking habits.

Mary Anne Turner, a bar patron, said “It’s just another thing that Americans are freaking out about. We just…we panic about everything.”

Because Moscow Mules are the new “it” drink around the nation, health officials thought this was the time to spread the warning.

Nickel or stainless steel mugs are both fine to use.

WIVB.com provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review. Note: Comments containing links are not allowed.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s