Phone charger overheats, causes smoke at Williamsville school

PHOTO/Main-Transit Fire FB

WILLIAMSVILLE, N.Y. (WIVB) — An overheated phone charger began smoking at a Williamsville high school Monday, causing firefighters to respond.

The incident happened in Williamsville South High School’s cafeteria.

According to the Main-Transit Fire Department, a portable electronic charger overheated and started to smoke in the cafeteria.

Firefighters ventilated the cafeteria. One student was treated and released with minor injuries from holding the overheated charger.

Classes resumed as normal for the afternoon.

“According to the Consumer Product Safety Commission, while these incidents are rare it is a good reminder to practice good electronics safety including handling and using portable battery chargers,” the fire department said in a Facebook post.

WIVB.com provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review. Note: Comments containing links are not allowed.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s